Today, I was sent a link to a "Zecharia Sitchin" book,
and was asked what I thought. Yesterday I would have
quickly replied with "balderdash". But just last night
I took a trip with the aid of some shamanic compounds,
crossed a hyper-dimensional portal, and god damn it if I didn't
find myself in the Egyptian World of the Dead! With Pyramids!
So today, I will give you a different opinion:
"Most likely balderdash, but understandably so".
I still believe that everything you need to understand
why our minds and creations (civilization, technology,
art) are what they are, is to be found in archaeology,
paleoanthropology, biology-based cognitive sciences,
and complexity theory. Evolution, all by itself and
with no outside influence, has been crafting this
amazing computer, that can envision so much more than
it at-minimum needs to survive in the savannah.
Complexity Theory illustrates why: when you build
something out of units which were an emergent property
of other self assembling units, you are bound to have
a higher order emergence of even higher complexity.
Them's the rules. Read your Kauffman:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Kauffman
So our brain can invent spaceships, just because. It
can also dream and hallucinate, and since our DNA is
mostly the same, we will share dreams and
hallucination. So Mr. Sitchin, and others in his line
of work, even though their methods are TERRIBLE (it's
just bad science, really: )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_astronaut_theory
even though their methods are horrid, they are tapping
into a collective set of dreams and hallucinations,
that a Human brain will tend to see with the right
stimulus (meditation, sleep deprivation, near death
experience, smoking potent tryptamine alkaloids, what
have you). And when I say 'collective', I don't mean
telepathy.... I mean you have a Black&Decker Z4-320
Table Saw; if you set it to '30%', it will do a
predictable thing. Likewise you have any random
member of Homo Sapiens, say 'Bob', if you set 'Bob' to
'Intense Hallucinatory Mode', you are going to get the
visions with hardwired characteristics. Two humans
who were both set to that mode, and start talking
about their experiences, will notice the similarities,
then conclude "It must be true, that vision! It means
something!".
If you look at the bulk of evidence, gathered with
STRICT SCIENTIFIC METHODOLOGY, Occam's Gillete Blade
says that the most likely explanation for all this
weird shit, is that it was cooked up strictly in the
mind, and the mind was cooked up in the brain, and the
brain was cooked up in this lil' planet all by itself,
over a long long long long long time, and any evidence
to the contrary is more likely than not a pipe dream.
Granted, this is conditional on new evidence, which
might disprove that theory. I shall continue to seek
said evidence, tonight sounds about right...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home